A festival dedicated to cacti and succulents won’t be complete without a competition that lets participants showcase their most well-maintained and outstanding plants for a shot at winning different prizes.
The Cactus, Succulent, and Bromeliad Festival will hold the Tabletop Competition and the Succie Pot-in-a-Pot competition which will focus on cacti, succulents, as well as the creativity of the participants.
Open to all Filipino contestants, the two contests will accept any number of entries from its participants provided that they pay P50 per plant entry. Upon entry, each participant must also agree to leave their plant/s at the venue for the duration of the show.
All participating individuals are required to comply with the rules and regulations of the competition and must respect the judges’ decision.
For the Tabletop competition which is dedicated for cacti and succulents, all entries must meet the following requirements:
- Plants should be under the participant’s care of at least 6 MONTHS as well as pest and disease free; organizers have the right to disqualify or prevent plants identified with infestation to enter the event
- Entries must be staged properly as well as presented in a manner that will uphold and reflect the image of the organizers
- All entries should come with a proper plant identification
Winning titles in the Tabletop competition include Best in Astrophytum, Best in Gymnocalycium, Best in Mammillaria for the cactus category. Awards under the succulent category, on the other hand, include Best in Aloe, Best in Caudiciforms, Best in Euphorbia, Best in Haworthia, and Best in Sansevieria.
In the meantime, the Succie Pot-in-a-Pot competition, which allows participants to create an artistic setup using their plants, must comply with the following:
- All plants used in the competition must be free from pests and diseases. Only cacti and succulents are allowed in this category.
- Participants are allowed to use any dish container (plastic, rubber, ceramic, wood, etc.) of any shape as long as it fits the arrangement
- Entries can have a minimum size of 8 inches in diameter, length, or width or a maximum size of 16 inches
- Accessories such as driftwood, stones, pebbles., etc. can be used as additional decoration to the presentation
- Succie Pot-in-a-Pot entries should be accompanied with a short title that describes the artist’s work
Prizes will be awarded during the ceremony while trophies, medals and ribbons will be placed beside the winning plant right after the competition chair tallying the judges’ scores.
The event will be held from June 20 to 23 at the Main Mall Atrium of SM Mall of Asia. For more information or to register, contact Karl Calica for the table top competition at 09178364100 or send an email to email@example.com. For the Succie Pot-in-a-Pot, contact Wilson Angel at 09177908370 or through firstname.lastname@example.org.