By Adora Rodriguez, DA-AFID
The Department of Agriculture on April 13 issued a memorandum circular expanding the coverage of the price freeze policy that includes enforcement of the suggested retail price (SRP) scheme.
“We included other food items commonly bought by households,” said Agriculture Secretary William Dar during a virtual press conference at the DA central office in Quezon City.
The expanded price freeze includes major types of rice (imported, local and NFA), local roundscad or galunggong, pork liempo, chicken egg (medium), and cooking oil.
“The expansion of the list forms part of our continuing efforts to ensure availability of basic commodities at reasonable prices in Metro Manila and other urban markets nationwide,” the DA chief said.
He also emphasized that the current supply of major agri-fishery products is enough to meet the demand, and urged the public not to panic or buy more than their consumption level.
With the strengthening of the DA Bantay Presyo Task Force that works in partnership with the Local Price Coordinating Councils, he said “we will apprehend and file cases against price freeze violators. Sasampulan po namin sila,” Secretary Dar warned.
The expanded list of basic agri-fishery commodities and their respective price per kilogram (kg) includes:
- Milkfish (cage-cultured) – P162
- Tilapia (pond-cultured, fresh-chilled) – P120
- Roundscad or galunggong (imported) – P130
- Pork (pigue/kasim) – P190
- Chicken (whole) – P130
- Sugar (refined) – P50
- Sugar (brown) – P45
- Red onion (fresh) – P95
- Garlic (fresh, imported) – P70
- Garlic (fresh, local) – P120
- Rice (imported): special – P51; premium – P42; well-milled – P40; and regular – P39;
- Rice (local): special – P53; premium – P45; well-milled – P40; regular – P33;
- NFA rice, regular-milled – P27
- Roundscad / galunggong (local) – P130
- Pork (liempo) – P225
- Chicken egg (medium) – P6.50/piece
- Cooking oil (300ml) – P24
- Cooking oil (1 liter) P50
Under the Price Act, the government shall ensure availability of basic and prime commodities at reasonable prices at all times without denying business entities earn a fair profit.