DA grants 2 trucks to coco cooperative

Photo by Nipanan Lifestyle on Unsplash

The Department of Agriculture (DA) recently donated two trucks to the Sarangani Vegetables Seed Growers Multi-Purpose Cooperative (SAVESEGROW-MPC) to help improve the hauling services of the coconut farmer-members.

Photo by Nipanan Lifestyle on Unsplash

Composed of a delivery and a hauling truck, the donation is part of the P 23 million sub-project that the Malungon-based cooperative received from the DA’s Philippine Rural Development Project – Investment in Rural Enterprise Agri-fishery Project (PRDP I-REAP).

Based on the project, 100 percent of the unhusked coconuts produced by the farmers will be procured by the cooperative, dehusked, and 96 percent will be sold to the Century Pacific Agricultural Ventures Inc. in General Santos City. The remaining 4% will be processed into white copra. 

“Coconut is a high value crop and the trucks greatly help in upgrading the commodity’s value chain. If the required standard quality of coconut products for delivery can be maintained, this will command a higher price, cut labor costs, and improve the income of farmers,” says Sarangani Governor Steve Chiongbian Solon. 

He added that this is the season for the agriculture sector to thrive as an essential industry as it plays a big part in the development and health of the province.

DA Region XII office lauded the Sarangani Provincial Government for having four approved World Bank PRDP I-REAP projects.

What is your reaction?

In Love
Not Sure
Agriculture Monthly magazine is the Philippines' best-selling magazine on all things agriculture. It is packed with information and inspiration on how to make the most of your farm or garden.

    You may also like

    Leave a reply

    Your email address will not be published.

    More in:COMMUNITY